In the Workplace
What role do teachers play in the learning environment?
Teachers play an important role in making sure every classroom is a healthy, safe and positive learning environment. One of the six recognized teaching standards in Nova Scotia is \"Teachers create safe and positive learning environments.\" See Section 5 for more on teaching standards.
Teachers do this by:
- Creating and keeping positive learning environments that are fair, inclusive and safe.
- Following the Provincial School Code of Conduct (visit here for more information on Code of Conduct) and other policies associated with student behaviour.
- Establishing respectful relationships with students, families, colleagues and other partners in education.
- Providing culturally-responsive and student-centered responses to differences in student behaviour associated with culture, language and life experience.
- Addressing unacceptable student behaviour in a fair and consistent manner.
- Working with families, guidance counsellors, mental health professionals and others to look at student behavioural challenges, mental health concerns and special needs in new and forward-thinking ways.